Orthopaedic Surgery is a core specialty at Flinders Private Hospital and encompasses all surgical management of orthopaedic (bone and joint) conditions arising from arthritis, trauma or sporting injuries. Our orthopaedic operating theatres are equipped with state-of-the-art technology and instrumentation which ensures our patients receive the most current treatment for their condition or injury. Flinders Private Hospital’s orthopaedic service is supported by on-site radiology facilities including Computed Tomography (CT) and Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) scans.
We have a particular focus on:
- Joint replacement surgery - knee, hip and shoulder
- Upper limb procedures - shoulder, elbow, wrist and hand
- Lower limb procedures - knee, foot and ankle
- Trauma surgery
- Paediatric orthopaedic surgery
- Sarcoma and bone tumour surgery
Our team of professionals provide a multidisciplinary approach to ensure the optimum in healthcare for our patients. We have over 20 Orthopaedic Surgeons who operate at Flinders Private Hospital, most of whom consult on-site.
Our orthopaedic service provides:
- Over 20 Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Specialised Orthopaedic Nurses
- Specialised Orthopaedic Physiotherapists
- Dedicated 42 bed orthopaedic ward
- The highest level of private critical care available in South Australia
- Medical staff rostered on-site 24/7
- Pre-operative hip / knee replacement education sessions
- Orthopaedic discharge planners
- Free Wi-Fi internet access
Flinders Private Hospital hosts monthly education sessions for people who are booked for surgery to have a hip or knee replacement. These evenings are very popular and are designed specifically for anyone who is booked for surgery but also valuable for those members of the community who are interested in learning more about what a joint replacement procedure entails.
The sessions are presented by an experienced Orthopaedic Nurse and a specialised Orthopaedic Physiotherapist who will outline what to expect when you are having a hip / knee replacement at Flinders Private Hospital. These sessions will include:
- Pre and post operative care
- Pain management
- Physiotherapy – exercises and mobility
- Expected duration of hospital admission
- Discharge planning and preparation for going home
The sessions are held monthly at Flinders Private Hospital on Wednesday evenings from 6.30pm – 7.30pm.
The 2017 / 2018 dates are available here.
Partners / carers are welcome to attend education sessions and light refreshments will be provided.
Rapid Access Knee, Hip and Shoulder Clinic
We provide a streamlined, one-stop, NO GAP, service for privately insured patients and DVA GOLD card holders for assessment and treatment of knee, hip and shoulder injuries.
Priority access will involve a clinical assessment by an Orthopaedic Specialist, and if required, an MRI scan (no gap) of your knee, hip or shoulder. The Orthopaedic Specialist will review your results and devise a patient treatment plan which may include physiotherapy or surgery if required.
- No waiting. Rapid access to see an Orthopaedic Specialist
- No gap payment for privately insured patients for the Rapid Knee, Hip and Shoulder Clinic
- Rapid access to surgery if required
- Fast tracked follow up appointments
- Everything taken care of in one place, on one day
- Appointments made within a week
- Same day access to a diagnostic MRI scan if required, at NO cost to patients
- Rapid access to an Orthopaedic Specialist
Adelaide Hip Centre
The Adelaide Hip Centre at Flinders Private Hospital offers a comprehensive service for the exclusive management of hip disorders. Our Orthopaedic surgeons will assess your hip and devise a treatment plan for you which may include physiotherapy or surgery if required.
One specialty, one focus with surgical services including:
- Direct Anterior Approach Hip Replacement
- Hip Arthroscopy
- Revision Hip Replacement
- Hip Trauma
This service is for private patients and DVA Gold card holders, with no cost for initial consultation.
Patients require a referral form from their General Practitioner to attend the Adelaide Hip Centre.
When the referral form(link) is complete, the patient is then able to call 08 8275 3791 to arrange a convenient appointment time.
For more information please refer to the Adelaide Hip Centre Brochure